Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Home at Last


July 5, 2012

Well, yesterday afternoon, I went back to my place and signed my first rental contract.  It was such a strange feeling, but SUPER exciting at the same time.  I decided to spend one more night with the Martinez family because we went back to visit the Tieta yesterday after my rental appointment and didn’t get back until late.
Today is the day.  I can’t believe it’s finally here!!!!!  My very own place….and my first night alone.
I round up my stuff and the Martinez’s help me cart it all down the elevator (this only takes a mere 5 trips).  Then, they bring up the car and Santiago (Mr. Martinez) meticulously loads each and every suitcase into the car.  Luckily, it all fits and I’m thrilled.  Next stop: my first place =)

Upon arrival, they help me unload and tell me that we’re going to Mercadona (a Spanish grocery store with SUPER cheap prices).  “You need things now….we have to clean your place, and you need laundry detergent and food to eat”.  So, off we go to Mercadona.

We park and I enter with my newly purchased “European cart” (what they use to cart their groceries around in from the store to their apartments since most people don’t have cars in the city) into the world of Mercadona.  Teresa shows me around and explains to me what each type of detergent does.  They use 5 different things to wash clothes with:  I have a special detergent for black clothes, one for delicates, one for normal things, “bicarbonate” (which I’m pretty sure is just baking soda), and fabric softener go into my cart.  I pick out cereal, fruits, veggies and pastas for my first few days.  Teresa shoves things into my cart behind my back that she thinks I’ll like (including a rabbit – yes, they eat rabbit here).  I quickly put the rabbit and other miscellaneous items back when she is not looking and after nearly an hour in the store, I’m stressed out and ready to pay. 

My heart is pounding and I’m sure that this will cost me nearly 200 Euros (that’s what it would cost at home, at least).  Santiago asks me what’s wrong and I tell him my prediction of the cost of my cargo.  He laughs and says I’m crazy.  Santi and Javi say that it will cost less than 100 Euros.  Teresa says 160.  I approach the cash register with nervous anticipation.


Much to my surprise, my grand total for this cart full of stuff:  65 Euros.

I head home with my purchases, say my goodbyes to the Martinez family, thank them for their generosity, and find myself all alone.

 I made a few changes to the sofa...it really brightens up the place (there's nothing a slipcover and a few throw pillows can't fix).

I clean my new place like a fiend and put everything in its place.  Believe it or not, I fall right to sleep on my first night alone, excited for the adventure ahead of me.

1 comment:

  1. OK, all caught up and it sounds like you are having a wonderful time and your story about Victorina is so touching. Hope you figure out the photos issue soon, take care.

    ReplyDelete