Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Jo Soc la Sarah


July 4, 2012

Today is Independence Day back at home and instead of celebrating with the Red, White and Blue, I am in my first day of Catalan classes.  As I walk in, I am completely lost.  I still don’t even have the basic skills to ask where my classroom is and it is a rule of every administrator in the language center to not speak Spanish with the students.  Ergo, I am thrilled to find a woman who took pity on my, asked if I was looking for the initial class, and kindly direct me to my classroom when I nodded affirmatively.  The great news about Catalan is that I already understand the majority of it when it is spoken to me or when I see it on signs throughout the city.  The bad news is that I’m pretty much the worst Catalan speaker ever at the moment.  During my initial session, my teacher kindly tells me that I speak great French and Spanish (most of the words in Catalan are very similar either to French or Spanish and thus, I get quite confused when I open my mouth to speak), but that I don’t speak Catalan and refers me to some TV channels to practice my accent.  I leave feeling a bit discouraged; this is first time in nearly three years that I have attempted to learn a new language completely from scratch and it’s taking some getting used to.

Luckily, the courses are free through the government for new residents and there is a website with all sorts of activities on it.  I’m practicing a bit more every day and am finding that it’s becoming easier and easier with each passing day.  This is a good thing since EVERYTHING here in Barcelona is written in Catalan; this includes the fruits and vegetables at the grocery store.  I never really know what I’m buying; I just pick something and hope for the best =)





No comments:

Post a Comment