Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The Spanish Way of Life


June 28, 2012

The next day, I wake up expecting to search for apartments.  When I inform Mrs. Martinez of my plans, she tells me “Sarah, you have all afternoon to look for apartments…you just moved to Barcelona…we’re going to the beach”.  Despite my desire to find my new home, I realize that my desires are no match for Mrs. Martinez.  I quickly send an e-mail to a company recommended to me by my university advisor about what type of place I’m looking for, put on my bathing suit, and head toward the car.  Once at the beach, I am shocked at the scantily clad and topless women before me.  Not only are there young women (which I expected), but older women as well…mothers playing with their children….grandmothers with a few extra pounds….all of them topless.  Although I was initially uncomfortable at the sight of this, I have now come to appreciate the fact that women in Spain are not self-conscious of their bodies as are most women in America.  We have a lot to learn from the Spanish about self-image and self-love.


Me on the beach in my new home =)  

Teresa was right...I needed beach therapy.

I am thrilled to come home from the beach to an e-mail from the real estate agency with a list of three places that I might be interested in.  All of them are within my budget and were fairly decent, but there is one in particular that stands out.  I call the real estate agent and set up appointments for tomorrow (Friday) to see the places.  Whoever said that Spaniards are lazy and don’t work hard was SERIOUSLY mistaken.  I drift off to sleep dreaming of my new home…what it will be like….and thinking of the fact that I’m a real adult now.  It’s a scary thought, but with the excitement of the life that awaits me here in Barcelona, I dream pleasantly and sleep like a baby for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment